Emotions, Long Term Memory, and Associations
“Music is a very complex stimulus. It affects us emotionally. It engages our long term memories and feelings about places and people throughout our lives. The moment we are born we start to associate sounds and feelings with people and events in our lives,…”
Dr. Concetta M. Tomaino, pioneer in the music therapy world.
What can we do as Primary music leaders to stimulate appropriate memories and feelings about a song in Primary? I think we try to present the song in a different way each week (reaching individual learn styles) and make sure that our activities are appropriate to the feel and meaning of the song. This is a strong song about being true at all times. Here are some ideas for this song:
- Body Rhythm Activity
- True and all Times: Work and Play Category Game
- Work or Play Objects Activity for Younger Children
- Drum Activity for Younger children
- Partner Body Rhythm Activity
- Mirror Stances
- True at All Times: Work and Play Category Game
- Maori Stick Passing pattern
- (See also the Drum Activity for Younger Children) You may be able to have more children do the complex rhythm with Older Children.
- Handbell Activity